It all started with a house, Church & Gardens of Bishop of ELY, It was Called Ely Place built in 1307
Elizabeth 1st, daughter of Henry V111 gave Christopher Hatton (born 1546) Ely Place in 1581.
The Queen then knighted him and made him Lord Chancellor of Oxford Called the dancing chancellor. He was thought to be the Queens fancy man and that was said by Mary Queen of Scott’s!
He was also one of those appointed to arrange a marriage between the Queen and Duke of Alencon in 1581, although he urged the Queen not to marry.
Sir Christopher Hatton was part of the courts when Mary Queen Scott’s was found guilty of treason in 1586.
He started to build on the estate in 1587 the first road was called Hatton Street now Hatton Garden.
Sir Christopher became ill and the queen visited him in November 1591 he then died 10 days later at Ely Place and was buried on 20 December 1591 at St Paul's Cathedral where the Queen had a massive monument for Hatton placed at the alter but this was destroyed in the great fire 1666.
The land was past to his nephew William Newport (Hatton) who was married to his second wife Elizabeth Hatton. He then died in 1597 leaving the land to Christopher Hatton II.
Lady Elizabeth Hatton now a widow, young rich and beautiful had many suitors.
She had an annual ball but on 26 Jan 1626 at one of her balls she met a stranger who she danced with and she was found outside on the cobbles ripped limb from limb and her still bleeding heart. There are even rumours that her ghost still haunts the street.
Now called Bleeding heart yard, try the little French restaurant.
The last Anne Hatton daughter of Christopher Hatton II she died in 1743 and the Hatton estate was left to Earl of Winchilsea.
Between 1743-1880 new houses were built and the area was mainly residential in this time the top of Hatton Garden was like little Italy they built a school in 1841.
From 1880’s Hatton garden was transformed into a commercial area and in 1881 the first machine gun was designed at 57 Hatton Garden.
Clerkenwell Road was the first place to house the first diamonds and gold trader in 1885 the biggest is De Beers which is hidden behind Hatton Garden.
All just workshops and trading in diamonds and gold but the first retail jewellery shop was in 1962 by 1987 80% of the worlds diamonds and gold trading went through Hatton Garden.
In 1997 thieves stole a jewel worth over 7 million still the biggest unsolved robbery in London.
Hatton Garden has over the years had many big names first was King Henry VIII who was married in ST Etheldreds Church. This church is one of the oldest catholic churches in England and one of only 2 left in London dating from King Edward I in 1300’s.
Ely Place was in 1772 taken by the crown and used as a prison, before this Traven inn was built in 1547 in a little alley which lead to Ely Place and there by the door is still a branch of the Cherry tree that Queen Elizabeth danced around with Sir Christopher.
Charles Dickens lived on Holborn Road and used to drink in the Traven and Gray’s inn many of his books include the life of Hatton Garden recalling the inn’s, Oliver Twist's inspiration, saffron hill, Christopher Hatton and Bleeding heart yard.
Today there are over 300 businesses and 55 shops in Hatton Garden.
Hatton Garden is full of amazing jewellery and you can walk through the streets to be a part of our English history.
Book your Free design consultation with Goldfinger a Hatton Garden Jewellery manufacture.
0207 405 7590